1. "You have heard that it was said, 'An eye for an eye and...' '
2. Jesus said , "Whoever slaps you on your right cheek..."
3. Jesus said, "Whoever compels you to go one mile..."
1. "A tooth for a tooth" (Matt. 5:38). Mosaic legislation had a certain uncompromising return of the crime upon the head of the offender. Jesus did not want anyone to interpret this as meaning that a spirit of retaliation and revenge is what the Law was about.
2. "Turn the other to him also" (Matt. 5:39). Jesus contrasted this to the attitude of "an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth" (v. 38).
3. "Go with him two" (Matt. 5:41). Paul captured the spirit of this advice in the statement, "Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good" (Rom. 12:21).