2. True or false? John the Baptist taught that the Messiah would baptize with water and the Holy Spirit.
3. Fill in the blanks: John the Baptist said, "Every tree which does not bear good --------- is cut down and thrown into the ---------."
1. Repentance (Matt. 3:2), the necessary personal response to prepare for the kingdom of God.
2. False. Holy Spirit and fire (Matt. 3:11).
3. "Fruit...fire" (Matt. 3:10). He said this to warn his Jewish audience not to trust their ancestry to make them acceptable to God. Each of them stood accountable for himself.